A piggy bank of commands, fixes, succinct reviews, some mini articles and technical opinions from a (mostly) Perl developer.

Email me that information, don't tell me out loud!

Why I want you to email me that information instead of telling me out loud. There are so many reasons:

Speaking is inefficient:

  • I could mis-hear and copy it down wrong
  • I have to spend time listening to you and writing it down somewhere
  • If I'm not in front of a computer then it's written on a piece of paper, I have to store it somewhere for future reference, or spend more time typing it up

Email is efficient:

  • You've got a record of the information for the rest of your life, with no further effort (you are using a web-based email system, right?)
  • You can search for and find the information instantly
  • You can forward it to someone else for their reference
  • You can copy and paste with no chance of error
  • Email is so fast that someone can email you while you're speaking on the phone, and you can receive it and verify that it's correct before they hang up